Manila Journal

News and Information About The Philippines

  • Gorilla Mobile
  • My Blog is Worth

  • Archives

  • Currency Converter
    Loading...
    Amount:

    From:

    To:
    Result:
    0.00
    * Conversion Rates by Yahoo! Finance

Four hack suspects linked to terrorist group

Posted by Editor on November 28th, 2011

by November 27, 2011 9:47 AM PST

The FBI and Philippine law enforcement officials arrested four people in the Philippines this week who were allegedly paid by terrorists to hack into AT&T’s system, but the company said its system was not breached.

The four, who were arrested Wednesday in Manila, were paid by the same Saudi Arabian-based terrorist group identified by the FBI as funding the 2008 attack on Mumbai, the Philippines’ Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) said in a statement. The coordinated attacks in India’s largest city claimed 164 lives and wounded at least 308.

“The hacking activity resulted in almost $2 million in losses incurred by the company,” the CIDG said in a statement.

The suspects hacked the trunk-like PBX (private branch exchange) phone lines of different telecommunications companies, including AT&T, the CIDG said. Money stolen in the hacks was diverted to bank accounts belonging to the terrorists, who paid the Filipino hackers on commission, the group said.

The four allegedly worked for a group originally run by Muhammad Zamir, a Pakistani arrested by the FBI in 2007 who was associated with Jemaah Islamiah, a Southeast Asian militant group with links to Al Qaeda.

“Zamir’s group, later tagged by the FBI to be the financial source of the terrorist attack in Mumbai, India, on November 26, 2008, is also the same group that paid Kwan’s group of hackers in Manila,” Police Senior Superintendent Gilbert Sosa said in the statement.

An AT&T representative told Reuters that it “ended up writing off some fraudulent charges that appeared on customer bills” but did not comment on the $2 million figure.

“AT&T and its network were neither targeted nor breached by the hackers,” AT&T spokeswoman Jan Rasmussen said. “AT&T only assisted law enforcement in the investigation that led to the arrest of a group of hackers.”

The FBI requested the CIDG’s assistance in March after discovering the hacking group had targeted AT&T in the U.S., the CIDG said.

Earlier in the week, AT&T said it thwarted an attempt to steal mobile customer data and that no accounts were breached.

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Posted in Uncategorized | No Comments »

Manila Journal is for Sale. If you are interested in owning this publication ManilaJournal.com

Posted by Gregov on December 7th, 2008

If you are interested in owning this publication www.ManilaJournal.com feel free to contact us for terms. This publication has many thousands of articles and has enjoyed some considerable success. Our energies are now moving towards other projects and we would prefer the online Manila Journal to continue to live in some form.

You may contact us at gw9246@yahoo.com

or call US 618-592-3686

 

Gene

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Posted in Uncategorized | No Comments »

Palace: Sour grapes

Posted by Mai on November 25th, 2008

The Philippine Star
Palace: Sour grapes
By Marvin Sy Updated November 25, 2008 12:00 AM

Malacañang yesterday downplayed allegations made by Pangasinan Rep. Jose de Venecia Jr. against the President as nothing but political statements coming from someone still sourgraping over the loss of the speakership in the House of Representatives.

Deputy presidential spokesperson Anthony Golez said the allegations made by De Venecia during yesterday’s hearing on the impeachment complaint against Mrs. Arroyo were “political sentiments which serve political interests.”

Read rest of this story here:
The Philippine Star

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Posted in Philippine News | No Comments »

Bolante faces contempt for evasive answers

Posted by Mai on November 25th, 2008

ABS-CBN News Online Beta
Bolante faces contempt for evasive answers

By Aries C. Rufo, abs-cbnnews.com/Newsbreak | 11/25/2008 5:29 PM

Former Agriculture Undersecretary Jocelyn “Joc-joc” Bolante is facing contempt and possible detention in the Senate for his “seeming evasiveness” in answering queries on the misuse of the P728-million fertilizer fund.

Blue Ribbon chair Senator Richard Gordon, before suspending today’s hearing, said the committee “will deliberate” whether to cite Bolante in contempt “so he could be confined in Senate premises.” He noted that “a lot of senators were not happy about his seeming evasiveness” in responding to questions on his bank accounts, how he managed the fertilizer fund and his trips abroad.

Read rest of this story here:
ABS-CBN News Online Beta

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Posted in Philippine News | No Comments »

JDV charges won’t stand up in court

Posted by Mai on November 25th, 2008

INQUIRER.net
SAYS MIKEY ARROYO
JDV charges won’t stand up in court

By Gil C. Cabacungan Jr., Leila Salaverria
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 02:18am (Mla time) 11/25/2008

MANILA, Philippines—For all the charges hurled against his mother in the latest impeachment case, Pampanga Rep. Juan Miguel “Mikey” Arroyo Monday argued that none would stick in court.

“What my father is denying is that he was trying to broker a deal [with Chinese firm ZTE Corp. for the national broadband network project], not the golf game [with executives of the company],” Mikey said, responding to a litany of charges ex-Speaker Jose de Venecia aired at the start of the formal inquiry into the substance the fourth impeachment complaint against President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo.

Read rest of this story here:
INQUIRER.net

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Posted in Philippine News | No Comments »

Plan to postpone 2010 polls inserted in resolution – lawyer

Posted by Mai on November 25th, 2008

GMANews.TV
Plan to postpone 2010 polls inserted in resolution – lawyer
11/25/2008 | 06:00 PM

MANILA, Philippines – A provision to postpone the 2010 presidential elections and extend the terms of office for all elective officials has been inserted into a House Resolution currently pending before the House committee on constitutional amendments.

This was revealed Tuesday by human rights lawyer Neri Colmenares, secretary general of the National Union of People’s Lawyers, as he belied earlier allegations by the pro-administration congressmen when they defended their proposals to amend the Charter.

Read rest of this story here:
GMANews.TV

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Posted in Philippine News | No Comments »