Manila Journal

News and Information About The Philippines

  • Gorilla Mobile
  • My Blog is Worth

  • Archives

  • Currency Converter
    Loading...
    Amount:

    From:

    To:
    Result:
    0.00
    * Conversion Rates by Yahoo! Finance

Unilever Philippines aims at 10% growth annually

Posted by Michille on May 31st, 2006

Unilever Philippines aims at 10% growth annually – The Manila Bulletin Online!

By BERNIE CAHILES–MAGKILAT

Unilever Philippines is confident to maintain steady growth this year with strong demand coming from its aspirational product lines including skin and other personal care products.

Chito Macapagal, general manager for corporate development, based this projection to the encouraging 10 percent growth in sales in the first quarter this year. The company posted 10 percent growth in sales last year.

“We aim to grow the same level this year,” Macapagal said.

According to Macapagal, this year’s growth driver are mostly skin products particularly its skin whitening products, lotion, facial and deodorants.

“These are aspirational products and as such Filipino consumers continue to aspire to look and smell good,” he said. In addition, Unilever’s export of deodorants is also gaining ground.

In fact, its personal care products division is growing by almost double-digit and accounts for 65 percent of its total revenues. The food business, on the other hand, accounts for the remaining 35 percent.

Macapagal said they are maintaining their prices by absorbing the impact of the additional value-added tax.

“We cannot increase our products because these are very price sensitive items especially the detergents and shampoos,” he said.

The company together with the Soap and Detergents Association of the Philippines still continue to fight against counterfeit products although the level of counterfeits has substantially gone down since the height in 2001.

In 2001, Macapagal said, counterfeit products had accounted for a substantial 20 to 25 percent of the market share of its best selling Vaseline shampoo.

Unilever’s head office has yet to make a clear decision within the year regarding plans of converting the Philippine unit a hub for the production of mayonnaise and sandwich spreads, servicing the entire Asia.

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.