Manila Journal

News and Information About The Philippines

  • Gorilla Mobile
  • My Blog is Worth

  • Archives

  • Currency Converter
    Loading...
    Amount:

    From:

    To:
    Result:
    0.00
    * Conversion Rates by Yahoo! Finance

Archive for the 'Philippine News' Category

CBCP for Con-Con, but only after 2010

Posted by Mai on 25th November 2008

Manila Bulletin Online
CBCP for Con-Con, but only after 2010

Reiterates position in face of House Con-Ass move
CBCP reiterates stand in face of new moves in House

Lelsie Ann G. Aquino, Kris Bayos

The Catholic Bishops’ Conference of the Philippines (CBCP) yesterday rejected the plan of the House of Representatives to convert itself into a Constituent Assembly (ConAss), saying any change in the Constitution should be done by way of a Constitutional Convention (ConCon) and only after the 2010 election.

Read rest of this story here:
Manila Bulletin Online

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Posted in Philippine News | No Comments »

SSS sells its Meralco shares

Posted by Mai on 25th November 2008

The Manila Times Internet Edition
SSS sells its Meralco shares

SMC increases its stake, looks to acquire more

By Chino S. Leyco And Likha Cuevas-Miel, Reporters

State-run Social Security System (SSS) is selling its shareholdings in Meralco to the country’s largest food and beverage company, San Miguel Corp., as it eyes buying more shares owned by a government bank.

Romulo Neri, SSS presi­dent and chief executive, told The Manila Times that the fund’s board approved last week the sale of about 6 percent of its shares in the Lopez-owed Manila Electric Co. (Meralco) to San Miguel.

Read rest of this story here:
The Manila Times Internet Edition

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Posted in Philippine News | No Comments »

Villar clears Estrada in his ouster

Posted by Mai on 23rd November 2008

INQUIRER.net
Villar clears Estrada in his ouster

By Delmar Cariño
Northern Luzon Bureau
First Posted 22:21:00 11/22/2008

TUBLAY, Benguet — Senator Manuel Villar on Saturday absolved former President Joseph Estrada of any blame for his ouster as Senate president.

“Wala akong comment dyan. Si Erap ay nananatiling isa kong kaibigan, hanggang ngayon (I have no comment about that. Erap remains my friend),” he said here as guest of the town’s 108th founding anniversary.

Read rest of this story here:
INQUIRER.net

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Posted in Philippine News | No Comments »

Enrile: No talk with GMA on Senate coup, Cha-cha

Posted by Mai on 23rd November 2008

The Philippine Star
Enrile: No talk with GMA on Senate coup, Cha-cha
By Aurea Calica Updated November 23, 2008 12:00 AM

Newly installed Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile yesterday denied that the Senate coup that ousted Sen. Manuel Villar Jr. was sealed during the birthday party of Pangasinan Rep. Rachel Arenas in Malasiqui, Pangasinan on Nov. 15 where President Arroyo was present.

He said he could not possibly have discussed the Senate coup or even Charter change with the President because there were too many people and it was very noisy.

Read rest of this story here:
The Philippine Star

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Posted in Philippine News | No Comments »

JDV details secret Arroyo-ZTE meeting

Posted by Mai on 23rd November 2008

INQUIRER.net
JDV details secret Arroyo-ZTE meeting

By Juliet Labog-Javellana
Philippine Daily Inquirer
First Posted 01:04:00 11/23/2008

MANILA, Philippines—Benjamin Abalos was thoroughly at home in the ZTE headquarters and hogged the discussion on the National Broadband Network project. President Macapagal-Arroyo made no comment and her husband, Jose Miguel “Mike” Arroyo, hardly said a word.

But after lunch, Mike Arroyo suggested a formula that would eventually see the awarding of the NBN project to the Chinese telecommunications company.

Read rest of this story here:
INQUIRER.net

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Posted in Philippine News | No Comments »

Palace debunks ‘no-el’ claims, twits critics over ‘Chacha’ row

Posted by Mai on 23rd November 2008

GMANews.TV
Palace debunks ‘no-el’ claims, twits critics over ‘Chacha’ row
11/22/2008 | 11:06 AM

MANILA, Philippines — Malacañang on Saturday debunked claims by its critics that it is cooking up a no-election (no-el) scenario hand in hand with a bid to amend the1987 Constitution.

Presidential Management Staff (PMS) head Cerge Remonde also took a dig at Palace critics who he said keep on harping about Charter change and the “no-el” scenarios.

Read rest of this story here:
GMANews.TV

If you enjoyed this post, make sure you subscribe to my RSS feed!

Posted in Philippine News | No Comments »